First, you should consider whether your dog ate anything poisonous.
Before you do anything, keep calm. Your dog is more likely than not to be fine—but don’t assume that what he ate was harmless. Even if the food in question is safe for humans and other dogs, it could be poisonous to your dog. You should focus on what you know about your dog’s diet, but also make a list of ingredients in the food they just ate.
You should also look up whether those foods or plants are toxic to dogs. Once you’ve determined which ingredients are potentially problematic, call your vet or an animal poison control center (such as the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center) right away with this information so they can tell you how to proceed.
Some vegetables and other plants are toxic to dogs.
When it comes to eating, dogs are scavengers. They will eat anything they can get their paws on, and many of the things they’ll consume aren’t good for them. Some plants in your garden or yard can be toxic to your dog.
Be aware of what’s growing in your yard and which foods are safe for dogs. When in doubt, keep an eye out for any signs of extreme distress (vomiting, lethargy) or call your vet if you suspect that something is wrong.
Some house and garden plants can cause serious illness if your dog eats them.
Dogs can eat most vegetables, but some are poisonous to them. If your dog ate your vegetables and you’re wondering what kind of vegetable it was, here’s a list of potential culprits:
- Sago Palm: if the leaves or seeds are ingested by a dog, they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure and even death
- Tomato plants: tomato plants contain solanine. Thus, eating tomatoes is not dangerous for dogs. However, the plant itself contains solanine which can cause vomiting and diarrhea when eaten by dogs
- Aloe vera: though aloe vera gel is great for soothing sunburns on humans, it can cause vomiting in dogs if consumed.
Have information on hand about what’s poisonous to a dog and which foods or plants might cause problems.
Knowing what to do in the case of an emergency is hugely important. Here are some things you should know:
- What are the symptoms of poisoning?
There are plenty of signs that your dog may have consumed something poisonous, but several common ones include vomiting, weakness, and lack or loss of appetite. If your dog is displaying any sort of unusual behavior (excessive drooling, diarrhea), take these as signs that they may have eaten something harmful. Don’t wait until these symptoms progress—seek immediate medical attention at a veterinary clinic if you think there’s reason to worry.
- How can I induce vomiting?
Vomiting can often get rid of whatever it was your dog ate before it enters their digestive system—if you catch it quickly enough, that is. You can learn more about how to induce vomiting here.
If you think your dog may have eaten something poisonous, don’t wait for symptoms to appear.
If you think that your dog has eaten something poisonous, don’t wait for symptoms to appear. Some poisons act quickly, and by the time symptoms appear, it may be too late to save your dog’s life. If you suspect poisoning but see no symptoms, call your vet for advice.
If you take your dog to a veterinarian because of suspected poisoning (or any other reason), have this information ready: breed, age and weight of your dog; time and type of substance ingested or contact made; any symptoms observed; what treatment has been given at home so far.
You can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 (a fee applies).
- You can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 (a fee applies). This is a 24-hour service available in the United States.
- Contact your veterinarian. They are able to treat your dog’s illness and may be able to provide helpful information as well.
- Call the National Capital Poison Center at 800-222-1222 or use their online tool to see if something is poisonous to your dog.
If you’ve determined that the food or plant wasn’t toxic but your dog still won’t stop eating, call your veterinarian for advice.
If you’ve determined that the food or plant wasn’t toxic but your dog still won’t stop eating, call your veterinarian for advice. Ask whether they think you should bring in your dog for a checkup. Ask what kinds of solutions they recommend trying. If all else fails, ask them to come over to garden gnome-sit with you and your dog (good luck with that).
If you think your dog has eaten something poisonous, take her to see a veterinarian as soon as possible!
If you think your dog has eaten something poisonous, it’s important to get medical help as quickly as possible. Just like people, all dogs react differently to different poisons. Some poisons are more serious than others, and some can cause serious problems if not treated quickly. Some of the worst poisons can even kill a dog if not treated quickly.”There’s a garden gnome over there!”
“My dog ate my vegetables.”
These are not the same problem.
The first problem is that there is a garden gnome in your yard, and it’s creepy as heck. The solution? Simply take the gnome and move it to your neighbor’s yard! They won’t even notice, trust me.
The second problem is that your dog has eaten all of your vegetables. You need to take them to the vet ASAP so they can make sure no harm will come to your precious pup.
You’re in a tough spot. The first step is to determine exactly what happened. You say your dog ate all your vegetables, but did something else happen as well? Like, did a garden gnome eat all your vegetables too? These are the important questions here.
If you can determine that there was only one culprit, you’re in the clear—if multiple creatures ate the vegetables, you need to figure out which ones are sentient first. If they are sentient, then you have some negotiating to do. If they aren’t sentient, it’s fine to take legal action and pursue damages in a court of law.
But let’s say the garden gnome over there is definitely sentient and has definitely eaten all your vegetables. You need to talk to that gnome immediately, and explain that you are very upset about this situation. And ask them what they plan to do about it.
If they aren’t willing to negotiate with you, I recommend buying more vegetables at a grocery store and eating those instead until you get a satisfactory resolution from the gnome.
I completely understand how you feel! It can be really hard to watch your yard get taken over by a garden gnome. And when you can’t even enjoy the fruits of your labor because your dog ate them, it’s doubly frustrating.
The solution for me was [product name]. It helped me protect my garden and make sure my dog didn’t eat those prized tomatoes or carrots.
It’s worth a try! I’m glad I did!
You’re going to be okay. First, let’s talk about the gnome. This is something you need to take care of right away, because he could be dangerous. Gnomes are known to steal your socks if you don’t watch out. It’s pretty much their favorite thing to do. The best way to get rid of a gnome is to place some socks on the ground near it and then run away as quickly as possible. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but this is what works 100% of the time with these guys.
Now let’s talk about your dog. You’re probably feeling guilty about him eating your vegetables, but there’s no need for that! He is just doing what his nature tells him to do (plus, he probably has a stomach ache now, so I bet he won’t do that again). Your dog needs the nutrients in those vegetables, but he also needs a lot more than that—and there are plenty of supplements out there that you can use to make sure he’s getting everything he needs. And we’ve got some really good ones here at [company name]. Just go ahead and check them out—I’m sure you’ll find exactly what you need here!
Well, that’s a tough one. I’m not sure there’s a right answer, but it sounds like you’ve got some thinking to do.
Is the garden gnome here by choice? Did your dog eat the vegetables of its own accord? There’s always more than one way to look at the situation.
I completely understand your dilemma. I have a chihuahua and he can be a bit of a menace in the garden, too.
Gnomes and vegetable-loving dogs might seem like they’re on opposite ends of the spectrum, but both are actually a common problem for gardeners. I’m pretty sure I know exactly what you need to do to help get rid of those pesky garden gnomes.
Also, it sounds like your pup is suffering from a severe case of “grass is greener on the other side” syndrome—and that’s totally understandable!
If you don’t mind, I’ll send you some links to our best articles on both subjects. Hopefully they can help you out!
I’m not sure what I would do in your situation, but I know someone who could help me figure it out.